Friday, June 13, 2008

Delight thyself in the Lord...

Recently, I've been thinking back to our courtship and engagement days. It seems like so long ago. I still remember the overwhelming feeling of wondering if this was truly God's will for me. I knew once the decision was made, it was fianal. There was no going back.

It was a difficult decision for me, because I really didn't know Victor at all. When he emailed Daddy, I was totally shocked. 'Why is he interested in me' I thought. Our family had known the Maxsons for many years, ans we had supported their work in Malawi. But, the first time I'd ever met their family, was on the trip I took in Dec. 2005. During that trip, I hadn't really noticed Victor, and what I did see, didn't really make me think 'He's the one for me!!'.

So now, you might understand better why I was so shocked and uninterested when Victor first wrote daddy.

And yet as time wore on, my first response of NO! turned to maybe and then eventually to a Yes!. I still was a little uncertain, but every time I would think 'This doesn't make sense. I should just end it now' I would hear a little voice "behind me saying, this is the way, walk in it."(Isaiah 30:21). And so, I continued to walk by faith, trusting the Lord to direct my steps and bless my obedience to Him. And you know what... He has more than I could ever imagine.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

1 comment:

Ruth Ann said...

Bethany,

Thanks for sharing - I am looking forward to your whole story!! :)

I have often wished I could sit down with you and ask you questions about your courtship and all, since I really haven't heard much as far as 'details.' Besides that, I wondered how easily it was for you to just say "Yes" to go across the world. You challenge me because I thought about what I would do in such a situation. Would I just "know" it was the right thing for me or would I have questions in my mind or feel uncertain about it. I know it's not everyone who goes across the world to be a missionary, but seeing you so close to my age and having such a heart for your husband, for your family & Africa tells me that I have a lot to learn.

So, I really appreciate you sharing that at first you were like "NO" but you allowed the Lord to work in your heart and let you have His best. Isn't that the greatest thing? Trusting Him to carry out His plans. It's hard sometimes because we want to plan it all, but then we think about it and know that He has a far greater plan for us.

Thanks Bethany. :)